SALT LAKE CITY — A skydiver died after trying to avoid an obstacle and taking a hard landing at Tooele Valley Airport, officials said Tuesday.
The 30-year-old woman was found unconscious but breathing Sunday with head, neck and leg injuries, said Tooele County Chief Deputy Sheriff Duke North. She was taken to University of Utah Hospital for surgery but didn't survive, he said.
The woman's identity has not been released. Skydive Utah manager Jack Guthrie said she was an experienced skydiver and her death was not the result of a parachute failure.
A federal official said the woman's parachute was deployed and working properly until she neared the ground, when she made an abrupt turn to avoid hitting an obstacle, possibly some kind of sign.
Because she turned out of the wind, her canopy deflated momentarily, and she was hurled to the ground, the official said. The official was briefed on the investigation but was not authorized to release details, and spoke on condition of anonymity.
North confirmed that the woman's parachute was working properly, but he had no details about what happened as she neared the ground. She did not have enough time to deploy a reserve chute.
It was the first skydiving fatality at Tooele County airport since 2002, Guthrie said.
"We lost one of our dear friends," Guthrie said Tuesday. "We are deeply mourning the loss of our friend."
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 4 ways to guarantee your kids will have a...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12