While following the Santa Fe Trail during the first part of their journey, members of the Mormon Battalion camped at a site in Mora County, N.M., named for the geological feature seen here: Wagon Mound.
It is called Wagon Mound because, using a little imagination, one can picture a covered wagon being pulled by a team. It was referred to as the last major landmark on the Cimarron cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail. The Cimarron and Mountain routes merge just south of Wagon Mound.
A small village of the same name is situated near the mound. Accounts note that the battalion arrived at Wagon Mound Oct. 4, 1846. Because of good water and grass for the animals, some called this site the Valley of Hope.
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Watch live: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- First Presidency Easter Message
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 50
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46