Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
FRESNO, Calif. — The Salt Lake Bees rallied from five runs down in the ninth inning and defeated the Fresno Grizzlies 9-6 in 10 innings on Monday night.
Salt Lake trailed 6-1 going into the ninth, but they loaded the bases on walks to Efren Navarro and Roberto Lopez and a single by Luis Rodriguez.
Luke Carlin singled to center to bring home Navarro and Matt Long followed with a drive over the right field fence for a game tying grand slam.
In the 10th, Kole Calhoun led off with a single, stole second and scored the go ahead run on a single to center by Navarro.
The Bees would add two more runs on a sacrifice fly by Roberto Lopez and an RBI grounder by Carlin, who reached on an error.
David Carpenter (5-1) pitched a scoreless ninth and 10th to earn the win.
Long led the Bees with two hits and four runs batted in, while Carlin added two hits and two RBIs. Luis Rodriguez chipped in with three hits and two runs scored, as the Bees took three out of four at Fresno and closed out the road trip with a 5-3 record.
10-MILLIONTH FAN: The Salt Lake Bees are expected to welcome the franchise's 10-millionth fan to Spring Mobile Ballpark during the upcoming homestand (Tuesday through Friday), and have assembled a prize package spanning Miller Sports Properties for the milestone-setting fan. The club is currently 9,668 fans shy of reaching the record mark.
Bees general manager Marc Amicone, Bees front office staff, Bumble and the HoneyBees will welcome the lucky fan upon entrance and present the prize package. Bees items included in the package are a pair of Bees season tickets for the next 10 years, a VIP experience for 10 individuals at a Bees game later this season and a two-night trip for two to see Salt Lake's parent club, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at spring training in 2014 (includes airfare, hotel accommodations and game tickets).
In addition, the lucky fan will receive a VIP experience for 10 individuals at a Utah Jazz game during the 2013-14 season, a VIP experience for 10 individuals at Miller Motorsports Park, a VIP experience for 10 individuals at the 2013 Tour of Utah, a pair of tickets to the next 10 events at EnergySolutions Arena, 10 tickets to Megaplex Theatres, a $100 Fanzz gift card, 10 Papa John's pizzas and 10 Subway meal deals.
All fans in attendance during the game in which the 10-millionth fan enters the gates will enjoy 10 percent off concessions items (excluding alcohol and Wednesday's $1 hot dogs) and 10 percent off any purchase at the ballpark Fanzz location that night only. Fans in attendance will also receive a free ticket voucher to a select upcoming Bees game.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20