Recipe for a 31.5 percent property tax increase: 1. Propose 47 percent increase. 2. Hold public hearing. 3. Mayor reduces increase to 39.5 percent prior to public comments. 4. Don't listen to public outcry. 5. Council chair asks for budget requiring only 26-29 percent increase. 6. Administration presents 25.6 percent increase, mostly cutting items from budget they know the council will want back in. 7. Adopt budget with 31.5 percent increase. At least now we won't be burdened by being the lowest-taxed city in the state.
Israel M. Grossman
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- My view: Why so many Americans find Trump and...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 34
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 32
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24
- Rely on invisible hand? 23