SALT LAKE CITY — Mike Weir played one of his better rounds in years as he finished with a 1-under-par 69 in the final round of the U.S. Open at Merion GC in Pennsylvania.
Weir's 69 was one of the low scores on the final day as just six players were able to break par of 70. With his fine round, Weir moved up 27 spots on the final day to finish in a tie for 28th place at 292.
Starting off in the morning, well before the leaders teed off, Weir played the front nine in 3-under-par 32 with birdies at holes 1, 3 and 7. On the back nine, he bogeyed the par-4 11th hole and the par-3 17th hole for a 37 and his 69.
The former BYU golfer has struggled with his game since hurting a ligament in his right elbow in 2010. Since his injury, Weir has made just five cuts in 37 tournaments and didn't make a single cut in 2012.
When asked afterward how far along he is on his way back to full health, Weir replied "80 percent" and added he is "getting there for sure."
"A lot of days it feels very good," Weir said. "This week was a mixed bag, but today was much better and hopefully it will help me next week."
For Weir, it was another successful U.S. Open, where he has usually played well. In 12 previous Opens, he has made the cut 10 times, finished in the top 20 eight times and three times in the topsix. His last appearance was in 2010 when he finished in a tie for 80th.
This year Weir had to qualify at the U.S. Open Sectional in Columbus, Ohio. After tying for the final spot, he lost in an 11-man playoff but earned the first alternate spot and was added to the field on Monday.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 72
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 69
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31