AP, Photo by Jon Furniss/Invision
"Man of Steel" leaped over box office expectations in a single weekend.
The Warner Bros. superhero film earned $113 million in its opening weekend at the box office, according to studio estimates Sunday.
The Superman tale starring Henry Cavill and Amy Adams earned an additional $12 million from Thursday screenings, bringing its total to $125 million. Original expectations for the film ranged from $75 million to $130 million.
Sony's "This Is the End" opened in second place with $20.5 million in its opening weekend. The apocalyptic comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco opened Wednesday, banking a total of $32.8 million.
In its third weekend, "Now You See Me" earned $10 million in third place, bringing its total to $80 million.
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Can you guess when these 17 animated Disney...
- Toddler has no kidneys; family hopes for...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- ‘Dr. Oz’ will mount on-air...
- See which 10 books were most frequently...
- Maryland couple investigated again... 18
- Influx of Christian programming at... 7
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 6
- Families make videos to reassure... 5
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy... 5
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 5
- 'Be yourself in camouflage': 'Duck... 4
- ‘Dr. Oz’ will mount on-air... 4