AP, Photo by Jon Furniss/Invision
"Man of Steel" leaped over box office expectations in a single weekend.
The Warner Bros. superhero film earned $113 million in its opening weekend at the box office, according to studio estimates Sunday.
The Superman tale starring Henry Cavill and Amy Adams earned an additional $12 million from Thursday screenings, bringing its total to $125 million. Original expectations for the film ranged from $75 million to $130 million.
Sony's "This Is the End" opened in second place with $20.5 million in its opening weekend. The apocalyptic comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco opened Wednesday, banking a total of $32.8 million.
In its third weekend, "Now You See Me" earned $10 million in third place, bringing its total to $80 million.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Li-Fraumeni syndrome forces the Thompson...
- Cancer patient turns big goodbye to wedding...
- The 20 best family-friendly movies of 2014
- Box Office: 'Hobbit' wins Christmas, 'Big...
- About Utah: He un-retired and found a world...
- Top Utah stories of 2014
- Most kids no longer live in 'traditional'...
- N. Korea compares Obama to monkey in... 10
- The Clean Cut: How does a homeless man... 8
- Most kids no longer live in... 8
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral? 5
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4... 3
- Is ‘The Battle of the Five... 2
- Officials suggest possibility of... 2
- Denver shelters cite legal pot in... 1