AP, Photo by Jon Furniss/Invision
"Man of Steel" leaped over box office expectations in a single weekend.
The Warner Bros. superhero film earned $113 million in its opening weekend at the box office, according to studio estimates Sunday.
The Superman tale starring Henry Cavill and Amy Adams earned an additional $12 million from Thursday screenings, bringing its total to $125 million. Original expectations for the film ranged from $75 million to $130 million.
Sony's "This Is the End" opened in second place with $20.5 million in its opening weekend. The apocalyptic comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco opened Wednesday, banking a total of $32.8 million.
In its third weekend, "Now You See Me" earned $10 million in third place, bringing its total to $80 million.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Two powerful forces make American families...
- 14 potential signs of autism you may be...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Two powerful forces make American... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 9
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- TSA offering $15,000 for best airport... 8
- Deal to improve veterans' health care... 6