Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
FRESNO — Fresno rallied from a six run deficit, as the Grizzlies edged the Salt Lake Bees 9-8 in 10 innings on Saturday night.
The Bees led 7-1 after two innings, but Fresno chipped away and trailed by two in the eighth inning. With one out, Carter Jurica reached on a throwing error by Salt Lake shortstop Tommy Field and came home when Johnny Monell drilled a 1-1 pitch from Ryan Brasier (1-2) over the center field fence to tie the game at 8-8.
In the 10th, Fresno loaded the bases with no outs on singles by Jurica and Monell and an intentional walk to Brett Pill before Roger Kieschnick brought home Jurica with a sacrifice fly to end the game.
Salt Lake took a 3-0 lead in the first on a three run homer by Kole Calhoun and added four more in the second on an RBI single by Field, an error and a two run double by Efren Navarro.
In the fifth inning, Roberto Lopez scored from second base on a sacrifice fly by John Hester.
Starting pitcher Barry Enright went five innings and left with an 8-5 lead after allowing five runs on nine hits with two strikeouts and three walks.
Calhoun led the Bees with two hits and three runs batted in, while Navarro added two hits and two RBIs. Luis Jimenez had one hit and stole three bases, as the Bees drop to 3-3 on the road trip.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Ken Beazer proud of his accomplishments at...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 89
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 57
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 15
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8