Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
FRESNO — Fresno rallied from a six run deficit, as the Grizzlies edged the Salt Lake Bees 9-8 in 10 innings on Saturday night.
The Bees led 7-1 after two innings, but Fresno chipped away and trailed by two in the eighth inning. With one out, Carter Jurica reached on a throwing error by Salt Lake shortstop Tommy Field and came home when Johnny Monell drilled a 1-1 pitch from Ryan Brasier (1-2) over the center field fence to tie the game at 8-8.
In the 10th, Fresno loaded the bases with no outs on singles by Jurica and Monell and an intentional walk to Brett Pill before Roger Kieschnick brought home Jurica with a sacrifice fly to end the game.
Salt Lake took a 3-0 lead in the first on a three run homer by Kole Calhoun and added four more in the second on an RBI single by Field, an error and a two run double by Efren Navarro.
In the fifth inning, Roberto Lopez scored from second base on a sacrifice fly by John Hester.
Starting pitcher Barry Enright went five innings and left with an 8-5 lead after allowing five runs on nine hits with two strikeouts and three walks.
Calhoun led the Bees with two hits and three runs batted in, while Navarro added two hits and two RBIs. Luis Jimenez had one hit and stole three bases, as the Bees drop to 3-3 on the road trip.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19