Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
FRESNO — Fresno rallied from a six run deficit, as the Grizzlies edged the Salt Lake Bees 9-8 in 10 innings on Saturday night.
The Bees led 7-1 after two innings, but Fresno chipped away and trailed by two in the eighth inning. With one out, Carter Jurica reached on a throwing error by Salt Lake shortstop Tommy Field and came home when Johnny Monell drilled a 1-1 pitch from Ryan Brasier (1-2) over the center field fence to tie the game at 8-8.
In the 10th, Fresno loaded the bases with no outs on singles by Jurica and Monell and an intentional walk to Brett Pill before Roger Kieschnick brought home Jurica with a sacrifice fly to end the game.
Salt Lake took a 3-0 lead in the first on a three run homer by Kole Calhoun and added four more in the second on an RBI single by Field, an error and a two run double by Efren Navarro.
In the fifth inning, Roberto Lopez scored from second base on a sacrifice fly by John Hester.
Starting pitcher Barry Enright went five innings and left with an 8-5 lead after allowing five runs on nine hits with two strikeouts and three walks.
Calhoun led the Bees with two hits and three runs batted in, while Navarro added two hits and two RBIs. Luis Jimenez had one hit and stole three bases, as the Bees drop to 3-3 on the road trip.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 70
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 26
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14