Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Colorado Springs earned a split of the four game series, as the Sky Sox edged the Salt Lake Bees 5-4 on Thursday night.
Down 5-1 in the eighth, Salt Lake loaded the bases with one out when Kole Calhoun was hit by a pitch, Tommy Field doubled and Luke Carlin walked. Luis Rodriguez drove in two runs with a single to center, but the Bees left the bases loaded.
In the ninth, Trent Oeltjen delivered an RBI single to pull the Bees to within one, but with runners at first and second, Carlin got caught in a run down after a pitch in the dirt to end the game.
Matt Shoemaker (5-9) took the loss, as he went 7 1/3 innings and allowed five runs on nine hits with six strikeouts and no walks.
The bottom third of the batting order came through for the Bees in the game, Oeltjen, Carlin and Rodriguez each had a pair of hits with Rodriguez driving in two runs, while Oeltjen and Carlin had one RBI each.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28