Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Colorado Springs earned a split of the four game series, as the Sky Sox edged the Salt Lake Bees 5-4 on Thursday night.
Down 5-1 in the eighth, Salt Lake loaded the bases with one out when Kole Calhoun was hit by a pitch, Tommy Field doubled and Luke Carlin walked. Luis Rodriguez drove in two runs with a single to center, but the Bees left the bases loaded.
In the ninth, Trent Oeltjen delivered an RBI single to pull the Bees to within one, but with runners at first and second, Carlin got caught in a run down after a pitch in the dirt to end the game.
Matt Shoemaker (5-9) took the loss, as he went 7 1/3 innings and allowed five runs on nine hits with six strikeouts and no walks.
The bottom third of the batting order came through for the Bees in the game, Oeltjen, Carlin and Rodriguez each had a pair of hits with Rodriguez driving in two runs, while Oeltjen and Carlin had one RBI each.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 65
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43