Only half of the golfers in the field completed their rounds at the weather-delayed U.S. Open Thursday at Merion GC, but two of them were the two Utahns in the field, Sandy's Mike Weir and St. George's Jay Don Blake.
Weir shot a 2-over par 72 and is tied for 18th among players who have finished, while Blake finished with a 74.
Weir, who only got into the tournament on Monday as an alternate, found himself with a share of the lead at 2-under par after making two early birdies at holes 13 and 15. However, he found trouble on his second nine and four straight bogeys at holes 6 through nine added up to a disappointing finish.
"I played great," Weir said in a TV interview after his round. "They say it's a game of inches. It's a game of a yard or two here and there. Coming in I hit a couple of really nice shots and one was a yard long and one was a yard short from being close for birdie.
Weir added, "I think I only missed two fairways, which is what you have to do out there and I only missed a couple of greens. I just need to sharpen up my short game a little bit."
Blake, who is the oldest player in the field at age 54 and playing in his first U.S. Open in 10 years, played fairly steady on a rainy day when play was interrupted more than once because of the weather.
He bogeyed 14 and 15 on his first nine and made three more bogeys at 3, 5 and 6, before finishing his round with his only birdie of the day.
Both Weir and Blake were scheduled to tee off in the afternoon Friday, but may not complete their rounds depending on how long it takes the other half of the field to complete their opening rounds Friday morning, followed by their second rounds.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25