Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Sen. Mike Lee's website indicates he is opposed to the wholesale metadata mining by Internet and phone companies and views it as a violation of the Constitution and was unaware it was going on. Sen. Orrin Hatch's website is silent on the issue. When I called his office Tuesday, one of his staffers said Sen. Hatch was studying the issue to see if the NSA exceeded its mandate, i.e. Sen. Hatch knew it was going on to some extent.
I am very sorry that Sen. Hatch seems to think he is so much smarter than his constituents that he can authorize constitutional violations for our own good. Leaders who think they are much, much smarter than their followers are dangerous to our liberty.
- Natalie Gochnour: Contrasting religious practice
- Letter: Romancing the gun
- John Florez: School board members must speak up
- In our opinion: Remembering German Unity Day
- Michael Erickson: Stop America's later-term...
- Letter: Fall of America
- Letter: Congress surrendered
- George F. Will: Finding our place in the...