I used to think the Patriot Act and warrantless wiretapping were good ideas, but in light of the massive abuses of power such as wiretapping of innocents' cellular phone conversations, Internet surveillance and spying on the press, I have changed my mind. Our trust has been violated. And I now realize the sad truth that we will never win the war on terrorism, nor will we ever lose.
The terrorists lack popular support and material resources to ever conquer us, and as long as there are extremist ideologies there will always be extremist militants. It therefore makes no sense to meanwhile lay down our civil rights because we will never get them back. It is time we stand shoulder to shoulder and demand our rightful personal liberties back and say no to the surveillance state.
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 41
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Medically fragile 30
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- Allowing export of U.S. crude oil would... 22
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and... 22
- Require a civics test? Americans have a... 20