David Zalubowski, Associated Press
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho — A group of religious, education and community activists is pushing for a ballot initiative that would raise Idaho's minimum wage from the federal minimum of $7.25 to $9.80 an hour over the next four years.
The Spokesman-Review reports that about 30 members of the group rallied Saturday morning in Coeur d'Alene's Riverstone Park.
The group, led by Anne Nesse, contends that Idaho's meager compensation compared to other states is a moral issue that needs to be handled by voters rather than the Legislature. Idaho is one of 21 states that enforce only the minimum hourly wage mandated by the federal government; neighboring Washington state has the highest minimum wage in the nation at $9.19 an hour.
Nesse, who unsuccessfully ran for the state Legislature last fall, acknowledged the group has a steep climb ahead. Efforts to increase the minimum wage haven't gained traction in the state Legislature. Most recently, a proposal from Rep. Phylis King, D-Boise, failed to pass the House Commerce and Human Resources committee during the 2013 session.
Still, she said the group's proposal is modest, and that if approved by voters the state's minimum wage would be $8.10 in 2015, less than the federal bump to $9 an hour proposed by President Barack Obama in his State of the Union address this year.
The effort is getting assistance from Liz Moore with the Peace and Justice Action League in Spokane.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Top 15 states for education
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5