"That's when they're at their best. That's when every team is at their best," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "When the perimeter is making shots, when the bench is playing well, when you have a lot of contributors, that helps you win basketball games."
Look for more of it in Game 3.
Obviously, and wisely, the Spurs' defensive game plan will revolve around James, Bosh and Wade. And what just about every team has encountered over the last three years is the pick-your-poison problem of either overloading on Miami's superstars and playing off the role players, or trying to play someone like James 1-on-1 and rolling some very tricky dice.
"When Mike gets the ball, our shooters got the fluorescent light on our team," James said. "They're not even allowed to pass. When Ray and Mike get the ball, they have to shoot it. No matter how close the defenders are, they have to shoot it. When you have that leeway and that confidence, you just have to let it go."
It's expected that the Heat will try to address their luxury-tax issues over the summer, and Miller knows that he's making too much money — about $13 million over the next two years — to have his game-night attire essentially adhered to the bench. He could be traded. He could be the player the Heat cut loose through their still-available amnesty provision. Or he could stay.
All that might get sorted out in the coming weeks. For now, there's a second ring for Miller to chase.
"I've got a lot of basketball left," Miller said. "It's the best I've felt in five years. That might have something to do with the fact I haven't played. Sometimes there's some light at the end of the tunnel even when you're frustrated. So I feel great and, knock on wood, it stays that way."
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Utah Jazz: Selection of WSU's Bolomboy brings...
- Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey rebuts rumor about an...
- Utah Jazz: Examining how George Hill,...
- Jazz stars, others do well to avoid Rio
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during...
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 31
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Morning Links: Former Ute Booker is a... 8
- Utah Jazz: Selection of WSU's Bolomboy... 4
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US... 2
- Utah Jazz: Examining how George Hill,... 2
- Jazz stars, others do well to avoid Rio 2