Former Skyline High star Trey Nielsen among MLB draft picks with local ties
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah baseball player Trey Nielsen was selected in the 30th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft on Saturday by the St. Louis Cardinals.
Nielsen, a Skyline High product, hit .232 for the Utes this season with a team-high 13 doubles. He also led Utah with 24 RBIs and tied for the team lead with three home runs. He had a .367 slugging percentage and was 6-of-8 in stolen bases. Nielsen had Utah's longest hitting streak of the season, a 14-game run. Drafted as a pitcher, he made just four appearances on the mound this year for the Utes due to injury, and had seven strikeouts over six innings.
For his career, Nielsen has hit .259 with 47 doubles, 14 home runs, 85 RBI and a .422 slugging percentage. He was a Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American in 2011, in addition to being named second-team all-conference at third base.
BYU third baseman Adam Law was the first local player taken on Saturday. He was taken in the 12th round with the 364th pick overall by the Los Angeles Dodgers. Dominique Taylor, who attended Northridge High and was drafted out of UC Irvine, went to the Kansas City Royals with the 444th pick.
BYU teammates Jaycob Brugman (521st overall by the Oakland Athletics) and Adam Miller (600th overall by the Arizona Diamondbacks) were also picked. Brothers Taylor Snyder of Salem Hills High (1,017th overall) and Justin Snyder of Salt Lake Community College (1,077) were each taken by the Seattle Mariners in late rounds.
The Utes also had two signees drafted. Mason Smith (Meridian, Idaho) was a fourth-round selection to the San Diego Padres. Tyler Viza (Phoenix) was selected in the 32nd round by the Philadelphia Phillies.
Players have until July 12 to decide whether to sign a professional contract or return to school.
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Carter Williams: Steph Curry is becoming...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 113
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37