Former Skyline High star Trey Nielsen among MLB draft picks with local ties
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah baseball player Trey Nielsen was selected in the 30th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft on Saturday by the St. Louis Cardinals.
Nielsen, a Skyline High product, hit .232 for the Utes this season with a team-high 13 doubles. He also led Utah with 24 RBIs and tied for the team lead with three home runs. He had a .367 slugging percentage and was 6-of-8 in stolen bases. Nielsen had Utah's longest hitting streak of the season, a 14-game run. Drafted as a pitcher, he made just four appearances on the mound this year for the Utes due to injury, and had seven strikeouts over six innings.
For his career, Nielsen has hit .259 with 47 doubles, 14 home runs, 85 RBI and a .422 slugging percentage. He was a Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American in 2011, in addition to being named second-team all-conference at third base.
BYU third baseman Adam Law was the first local player taken on Saturday. He was taken in the 12th round with the 364th pick overall by the Los Angeles Dodgers. Dominique Taylor, who attended Northridge High and was drafted out of UC Irvine, went to the Kansas City Royals with the 444th pick.
BYU teammates Jaycob Brugman (521st overall by the Oakland Athletics) and Adam Miller (600th overall by the Arizona Diamondbacks) were also picked. Brothers Taylor Snyder of Salem Hills High (1,017th overall) and Justin Snyder of Salt Lake Community College (1,077) were each taken by the Seattle Mariners in late rounds.
The Utes also had two signees drafted. Mason Smith (Meridian, Idaho) was a fourth-round selection to the San Diego Padres. Tyler Viza (Phoenix) was selected in the 32nd round by the Philadelphia Phillies.
Players have until July 12 to decide whether to sign a professional contract or return to school.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24