When a U.S. citizen has a baby in a foreign country, that child is a U.S. citizen whether the parents are a diplomat, a soldier, a business person or a correspondent. A child's birthrights are determined by the parents — not where his mother happens to have been when her water breaks.
Millions of people have become U.S. citizens this way by giving birth just over the U.S. border. This is an extreme abuse of the 14th Amendment. Their citizenship is as authentic as the recycled paper it is written on.
T.G. "Bud" Mahas
Salt Lake City
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 43
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 30
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 26
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22