When a U.S. citizen has a baby in a foreign country, that child is a U.S. citizen whether the parents are a diplomat, a soldier, a business person or a correspondent. A child's birthrights are determined by the parents — not where his mother happens to have been when her water breaks.
Millions of people have become U.S. citizens this way by giving birth just over the U.S. border. This is an extreme abuse of the 14th Amendment. Their citizenship is as authentic as the recycled paper it is written on.
T.G. "Bud" Mahas
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Letter: A worldwide message
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- In our opinion: Becky Lockhart's tributes are...
- Letter: No end in sight
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the Union...
- A. Scott Anderson: Taking Utah into Top 10...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Obama's broadband... 36
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 34
- Letter: Not so lazy 33
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31