When a U.S. citizen has a baby in a foreign country, that child is a U.S. citizen whether the parents are a diplomat, a soldier, a business person or a correspondent. A child's birthrights are determined by the parents — not where his mother happens to have been when her water breaks.
Millions of people have become U.S. citizens this way by giving birth just over the U.S. border. This is an extreme abuse of the 14th Amendment. Their citizenship is as authentic as the recycled paper it is written on.
T.G. "Bud" Mahas
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence suggests...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of Catholic...
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a...
- My view: Have we crippled our kids with a...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Politicos...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Whatever happened to the...
- Letter: Good Samaritan
- In our opinion: Trump unmatched as a... 69
- In our opinion: Mounting evidence... 39
- George F. Will: The low depths of... 27
- Letter: Good Samaritan 22
- In our opinion: U.S. Conference of... 20
- Letter: Inversion concerns 19
- My view: Keystone Pipeline not in... 17
- A. Scott Anderson: Inversions will... 16