When a U.S. citizen has a baby in a foreign country, that child is a U.S. citizen whether the parents are a diplomat, a soldier, a business person or a correspondent. A child's birthrights are determined by the parents — not where his mother happens to have been when her water breaks.
Millions of people have become U.S. citizens this way by giving birth just over the U.S. border. This is an extreme abuse of the 14th Amendment. Their citizenship is as authentic as the recycled paper it is written on.
T.G. "Bud" Mahas
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- Letter: Elected representatives
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion:: Nelson Mandela left legacy...
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- The winners and the losers
- Letter: No limits
- Michael Gerson: Cancer has helped me see life...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 53
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Letter: Elected representatives 31
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 19
- Letter: No limits 19
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an... 11