When a U.S. citizen has a baby in a foreign country, that child is a U.S. citizen whether the parents are a diplomat, a soldier, a business person or a correspondent. A child's birthrights are determined by the parents — not where his mother happens to have been when her water breaks.
Millions of people have become U.S. citizens this way by giving birth just over the U.S. border. This is an extreme abuse of the 14th Amendment. Their citizenship is as authentic as the recycled paper it is written on.
T.G. "Bud" Mahas
Salt Lake City
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:...
- In our opinion: On matters of panhandling or...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win in 2014
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Will Putin's gamble...
- Letter: Putin's invasion
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Letter: Invite the divine 36
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 34
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30
- Letter: Private political parties 24