It's hard to imagine that includes four 3-point attempts from the 6-foot-11 Bosh — the same amount taken by Ray Allen, the NBA's career leader in 3-pointers made. Bosh missed all of them, but the Heat wouldn't second-guess the shot selection or criticize their slumping All-Star forward.
"We just want Chris to mix it up," Wade said. "Chris is one of the best shooters, especially big-man shooters in this game. He hasn't found the fine line of mixing it up, and that's now always easy because of the dynamic of how many players we have on the court that's live at all times."
The Heat aren't in bad shape, having won both the 2006 and '12 championships after losing Game 1. But the difficult series against the Pacers took a toll, with both James and Wade saying the team looked fatigued in the fourth quarter Thursday and James even having to ask for a break at the beginning of the period.
A lengthy rest seemed to pay off for the Spurs, fresher at the finish after having nine days off following the West finals sweep of Memphis. They committed only four turnovers in the game — fewer than the Heat had in the fourth quarter.
Plus, San Antonio seems to have an understanding of how to play James, though the Spurs don't make it sound like a complex one.
"It's basketball. There's nothing tricky really about basketball. There are only so many things you can do," Popovich said. "So we try to do a little bit of everything. Sometimes it means getting up into him. Sometimes it means backing off. Sometimes it means fronting him. Sometimes it means playing behind. It's just important to show a little bit of variety so somebody doesn't get used to one thing."
Now it's up to James to figure out how to deal with all that.
"I don't really predetermine what I'm going to do," he said. "I kind of let the game flow for itself. We'll see what happens."
Follow Brian Mahoney on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Briancmahoney
SPURS 1, HEAT 0
Game 1: Spurs 92, Heat 88
Sunday: Spurs at Heat, 6 p.m.
Tuesday: Heat at Spurs, 7 p.m.
June 13: Heat at Spurs, 7 p.m.
x-June 16: Heat at Spurs, 6 p.m.
x-June 18: Spurs at Heat, 7 p.m.
x-June 20: Spurs at Heat, 7 p.m.
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Quick Hit: A young defender loses shoes...
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in the...
- Quick Hit: Best missed dunk of all-time?
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in... 10
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag 2
- Quick Hit: A young defender loses shoes... 1
- Kevin Durant leads US to second... 0
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks... 0
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward... 0
- Quick Hit: Best missed dunk of all-time? 0