Nam Y. Huh, Associated Press
CHICAGO (AP) — Scott Hairston hit a grand slam and Matt Garza got his first victory of the season and the Chicago Cubs extended their winning streak to five games by defeating the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-2 on Friday.
Alfonso Soriano had a two-run homer and Cody Ransom added a solo shot for the Cubs, who have won five straight for the first time since winning seven in a row from July 31-Aug. 6, 2011.
Hairston's grand slam was the second in two games for the Cubs. Pitcher Travis Wood hit one on Thursday in a win over the White Sox.
Garza, who was making his third start of the season since coming off the disabled list with a strained back muscle, pitched seven innings and allowed two runs and six hits while striking out four for his first victory since July 15 of last season.
Garza (1-0), who was also making his first home start of the season, bounced back from his previous start, when he gave up four runs in four innings last Sunday in Cincinnati.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19