RSL's Beckerman, Rimando and Beltran on preliminary Gold Cup roster
MIAMI — Landon Donovan and Carlos Bocanegra, both trying to regain their spots on the U.S. national team, are among 35 players on the American preliminary roster for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Real Salt Lake's Kyle Beckerman, Nick Rimando and Tony Beltran were also included. The Americans open against Belize at Portland, Ore., on July 9, play Cuba at Rio Tinto Stadium four days later and close the first round against Costa Rica at East Hartford, Conn., on July 16.
The roster is missing most of the national team's regular starters, such as Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard, who will be on summer vacation before returning to their European clubs for the 2013-14 season.
Some of the players are currently with the U.S. team, which is preparing for three World Cup qualifiers in June. U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann omitted Donovan, who is playing his way into shape with the Los Angeles Galaxy following a four-month sabbatical, from his current camp along with Bocanegra, who lost his starting job with Racing Santander of Spain's second division and regained it in April.
The roster includes defender Oguchi Onyewu, also trying to regain a national team spot, and forwards Bobby Wood and Jay McInerney, who have not played for the national team.
Rosters must be trimmed to 23 by June 27, but the 12 players dropped can be added to the active roster after the group stage.
The winners of the 2013 and 2015 Gold Cups will meet in a playoff for a berth in the 2017 Confederations Cup.
Goalkeepers: Toby Hall (Houston), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake)
Defenders: Corey Ashe (Houston), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla, Mexico), Tony Beltran (Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Kansas City), Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander, Spain), Edgar Castillo (Tijuana, Mexico), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles), Oguchi Onyewu (Malaga, Spain), Michael Orozco (Puebla, Mexico), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg, Germany),
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Helsingborgs, Sweden), Joe Corona (Tijuana, Mexico), Brad Davis (Houston), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg, Norway), Brad Evans (Seattle), Benny Feilhaber (Kansas City), Josh Gatt (Molde, Norway), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Brek Shea (Stoke, England), Jose Torres (Tigres, Mexico), Graham Zusi (Kansas City)
Forwards: Will Bruin (Houston), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna, Mexico), Alan Gordon (San Jose), Eddie Johnson (Seattle), Jay McInerney (Philadelphia), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich, Germany).
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 68
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 43
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 34
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 24
- Video: 100 days until college football... 18
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10