KETCHUM, Idaho — Devices have been installed at famed fishing destination Silver Creek to gather information about aquatic insects and determine the possible effectiveness of a restoration project planned by The Nature Conservancy.
The conservation organization plans to remove sediment from Kilpatrick Pond in central Idaho that experts say creates shallow water and high water temperatures unsuitable for fish. The study would give insight into how aquatic insects handle the disruption.
"We'll measure to find out how fast it's recolonized," Silver Creek Preserve Manager Dayna Gross said about the five-year study.
The Nature Conservancy said Kilpatrick Pond became a sediment trap because of a nearby diversion dam. Gross said she's confident results of the insect study will show the project would improve trout habitat.
The conservation organization is partnering with Picabo Livestock Co. for the project that aims to restore the stream to a more natural path. The pond covers about three-quarters of a mile.
Biologist Terry Maret with the U.S. Geological Survey's Idaho Water Science Center put in the devices last week, the Idaho Mountain Express reported.
Maret said he expects to collect mayflies, stoneflies and caddisflies, plus snails and leeches.
"It creates spaces for insects to crawl into and live," Maret said.
He said he will collect the insects after six weeks and reinstall new devices in the middle of July, late summer and late fall. He said the devices will likely collect different types of insects at different times of the year.
"They all have different life cycles," he said.
The process will be repeated in two years, with a report on findings expected in 2017.
- Super Bowl throwback: 11 heart surgeries...
- Survivors pulled out from building 2 days...
- North Korea's new satellite flew over Super...
- Debate Takeaways: Rubio shaken, Trump not...
- Rescuers in Taiwan pull out survivors from...
- General Mills’ Betty Crocker, Pillsbury...
- 10 Things to Know for Today: New Hampshire,...
- For the Clintons, New Hampshire is the state...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 29
- Clinton seeks to cut into Sanders' New... 9
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl... 9
- Clinton's New Hampshire challenge:... 6
- US productivity fell at sharp 3 percent... 5
- Debate Takeaways: Rubio shaken, Trump... 5
- For the Clintons, New Hampshire is the... 5
- N. Korea praises launch, others see as... 4