LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas 51s rallied from an early four-run deficit to defeat the Salt Lake Bees 9-7 in a Pacific Coast League clash Monday afternoon.
The Bees jumped out to a 5-1 lead thanks to a two-run homer in the first by Kole Calhoun, a two-run shot by Matt Long in the second and an RBI single by Roberto Lopez in the third.
Las Vegas came back with one run in the third, two in the fourth and then took the lead by scoring five runs in the fifth inning, which was capped off by Francisco Pena's second two-run homer of the game.
The Bees scored two runs in the seventh on RBI singles by Kole Calhoun and Scott Cousins, but were shut down the rest of the way.
Salt Lake starter A.J. Schugel (1-4) was charged with the loss, as he allowed all nine runs in five innings on 14 hits with four strikeouts and no walks. Three Salt Lake relief pitchers — Jeremy Berg, Mitch Stetter and Fernando Cabrera — combined to throw three scoreless innings to keep it close.
Calhoun led the Bees with two hits and three runs batted in, while Brad Hawpe reached base in all five plate appearances — three walks and two singles.
Las Vegas took three out of four games in the series.
Up next: at Sacramento, 8:05 p.m. MDT today
Next homestand: June 1-4 vs. Colorado Springs
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27