LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas 51s rallied from an early four-run deficit to defeat the Salt Lake Bees 9-7 in a Pacific Coast League clash Monday afternoon.
The Bees jumped out to a 5-1 lead thanks to a two-run homer in the first by Kole Calhoun, a two-run shot by Matt Long in the second and an RBI single by Roberto Lopez in the third.
Las Vegas came back with one run in the third, two in the fourth and then took the lead by scoring five runs in the fifth inning, which was capped off by Francisco Pena's second two-run homer of the game.
The Bees scored two runs in the seventh on RBI singles by Kole Calhoun and Scott Cousins, but were shut down the rest of the way.
Salt Lake starter A.J. Schugel (1-4) was charged with the loss, as he allowed all nine runs in five innings on 14 hits with four strikeouts and no walks. Three Salt Lake relief pitchers — Jeremy Berg, Mitch Stetter and Fernando Cabrera — combined to throw three scoreless innings to keep it close.
Calhoun led the Bees with two hits and three runs batted in, while Brad Hawpe reached base in all five plate appearances — three walks and two singles.
Las Vegas took three out of four games in the series.
Up next: at Sacramento, 8:05 p.m. MDT today
Next homestand: June 1-4 vs. Colorado Springs
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Dick Harmon: Unique perspectives from new...
- Former BYU, Davis High runner Jared Ward...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- On the cusp: Gordon Hayward playing like an...
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz smart to avoid coaching...
- High school wrestling: Bear River captures...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 52
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade... 26