There is a lot of crying today about intolerance. I find it astounding that the ones who cry out against intolerance and cry out for equality are among the most intolerant people out there. I want to see myself as a tolerant and patient person. I try to respect all people as human beings. It is the constant attempts to enforce views that are contrary to what I hold sacred that causes me personally to lose a lot of respect toward certain people.
I quote George Eliot in saying, "The responsibility of tolerance lies with those who have the wider vision." From what I understand of that is that you can't be narrow-minded and tolerant, but you need to see the bigger picture in how things can and will be affected in the long run.
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- In our opinion: Aging without a family
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid
- Charles Krauthammer: U.S. refuses to support...
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before...
- Letter: Doctors unite