There is a lot of crying today about intolerance. I find it astounding that the ones who cry out against intolerance and cry out for equality are among the most intolerant people out there. I want to see myself as a tolerant and patient person. I try to respect all people as human beings. It is the constant attempts to enforce views that are contrary to what I hold sacred that causes me personally to lose a lot of respect toward certain people.
I quote George Eliot in saying, "The responsibility of tolerance lies with those who have the wider vision." From what I understand of that is that you can't be narrow-minded and tolerant, but you need to see the bigger picture in how things can and will be affected in the long run.
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- Letter: Greater security
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil drilling
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith may be...
- Letter: Kill off expansion
- Jay Evensen: Here's why we should fear...
- Letter: Our French Revolution