Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas 51s defeated the Salt Lake Bees 13-9 in a Sunday afternoon slugfest.
The Bees trailed 5-2 after two innings, but scored two runs in the third and then took a 7-5 lead with three runs in the fourth on a two-run double by Matt Long and then a steal of home by Long on the front end of a double steal.
Las Vegas came right back to tie the game with two runs in the bottom of the fourth on a solo homer by Kirk Nieuwenhuis and a run-scoring single by Wilmer Flores.
The 51s regained the lead with a run in the fifth and led 10-8 going into the eighth when Omar Quintanilla belted a three run homer to give Las Vegas a five-run lead. The Bees got one run back in the ninth on an RBI single by Luis Rodriguez.
Chad Cordero (1-2) was charged with the loss, as he surrendered the 51s' go ahead run in the sixth. Starter Kip Wells lasted just three and one-third innings and allowed seven runs on nine hits with three walks and one strikeout.
Long led the Bees with three hits, including a home run, and two runs batted in, while Kole Calhoun added two hits, including a homer, and three RBI. Luis Rodriguez chipped in with one hit and two RBI, as the 51s have taken two out of the first three games of the series.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 15
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14