Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas 51s defeated the Salt Lake Bees 13-9 in a Sunday afternoon slugfest.
The Bees trailed 5-2 after two innings, but scored two runs in the third and then took a 7-5 lead with three runs in the fourth on a two-run double by Matt Long and then a steal of home by Long on the front end of a double steal.
Las Vegas came right back to tie the game with two runs in the bottom of the fourth on a solo homer by Kirk Nieuwenhuis and a run-scoring single by Wilmer Flores.
The 51s regained the lead with a run in the fifth and led 10-8 going into the eighth when Omar Quintanilla belted a three run homer to give Las Vegas a five-run lead. The Bees got one run back in the ninth on an RBI single by Luis Rodriguez.
Chad Cordero (1-2) was charged with the loss, as he surrendered the 51s' go ahead run in the sixth. Starter Kip Wells lasted just three and one-third innings and allowed seven runs on nine hits with three walks and one strikeout.
Long led the Bees with three hits, including a home run, and two runs batted in, while Kole Calhoun added two hits, including a homer, and three RBI. Luis Rodriguez chipped in with one hit and two RBI, as the 51s have taken two out of the first three games of the series.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 28