Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — The Las Vegas 51s defeated the Salt Lake Bees 13-9 in a Sunday afternoon slugfest.
The Bees trailed 5-2 after two innings, but scored two runs in the third and then took a 7-5 lead with three runs in the fourth on a two-run double by Matt Long and then a steal of home by Long on the front end of a double steal.
Las Vegas came right back to tie the game with two runs in the bottom of the fourth on a solo homer by Kirk Nieuwenhuis and a run-scoring single by Wilmer Flores.
The 51s regained the lead with a run in the fifth and led 10-8 going into the eighth when Omar Quintanilla belted a three run homer to give Las Vegas a five-run lead. The Bees got one run back in the ninth on an RBI single by Luis Rodriguez.
Chad Cordero (1-2) was charged with the loss, as he surrendered the 51s' go ahead run in the sixth. Starter Kip Wells lasted just three and one-third innings and allowed seven runs on nine hits with three walks and one strikeout.
Long led the Bees with three hits, including a home run, and two runs batted in, while Kole Calhoun added two hits, including a homer, and three RBI. Luis Rodriguez chipped in with one hit and two RBI, as the 51s have taken two out of the first three games of the series.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 182
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 51
- ACC media days has some interesting... 38
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 32