Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — Brad Hawpe drove in three runs, including the eventual game winner, as the Salt Lake Bees downed the Las Vegas 51s 7-5 on Saturday night.
The Bees trailed 2-0 in the second when Hawpe belted his third home run in as many games, as his drive cleared the centerfield fence at the 433 foot mark.
In the fifth with Salt Lake trailing 5-3, Matt Long singled and scored on a double to right by Trent Oeltjen. Two batters later, Luis Jimenez drove in Oeltjen with a sacrifice fly to tie the game at 5-5. Efren Navarro followed with a double into the left field corner, and he came in to score the go ahead run on a single to center by Hawpe.
John Hester add some insurance with a leadoff home run in the ninth.
Jeremy Berg (2-0) allowed two runs on three hits in one and one-third innings, but picked up the win. Ryan Brasier pitched three shutout innings, while Mitch Stetter worked a scoreless eighth.
Fernando Cabrera registered his first save of the season, although Las Vegas had the potential tying runs on base. With runners at first and second with one out, Cabrera got Reese Havens to ground into a game-ending double play.
Hawpe led Salt Lake with two hits and three runs batted in, while Hester and Long added two hits and one RBI each, as the Bees snap their three-game skid.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 78
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20