Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — Brad Hawpe drove in three runs, including the eventual game winner, as the Salt Lake Bees downed the Las Vegas 51s 7-5 on Saturday night.
The Bees trailed 2-0 in the second when Hawpe belted his third home run in as many games, as his drive cleared the centerfield fence at the 433 foot mark.
In the fifth with Salt Lake trailing 5-3, Matt Long singled and scored on a double to right by Trent Oeltjen. Two batters later, Luis Jimenez drove in Oeltjen with a sacrifice fly to tie the game at 5-5. Efren Navarro followed with a double into the left field corner, and he came in to score the go ahead run on a single to center by Hawpe.
John Hester add some insurance with a leadoff home run in the ninth.
Jeremy Berg (2-0) allowed two runs on three hits in one and one-third innings, but picked up the win. Ryan Brasier pitched three shutout innings, while Mitch Stetter worked a scoreless eighth.
Fernando Cabrera registered his first save of the season, although Las Vegas had the potential tying runs on base. With runners at first and second with one out, Cabrera got Reese Havens to ground into a game-ending double play.
Hawpe led Salt Lake with two hits and three runs batted in, while Hester and Long added two hits and one RBI each, as the Bees snap their three-game skid.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37