Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — Brad Hawpe drove in three runs, including the eventual game winner, as the Salt Lake Bees downed the Las Vegas 51s 7-5 on Saturday night.
The Bees trailed 2-0 in the second when Hawpe belted his third home run in as many games, as his drive cleared the centerfield fence at the 433 foot mark.
In the fifth with Salt Lake trailing 5-3, Matt Long singled and scored on a double to right by Trent Oeltjen. Two batters later, Luis Jimenez drove in Oeltjen with a sacrifice fly to tie the game at 5-5. Efren Navarro followed with a double into the left field corner, and he came in to score the go ahead run on a single to center by Hawpe.
John Hester add some insurance with a leadoff home run in the ninth.
Jeremy Berg (2-0) allowed two runs on three hits in one and one-third innings, but picked up the win. Ryan Brasier pitched three shutout innings, while Mitch Stetter worked a scoreless eighth.
Fernando Cabrera registered his first save of the season, although Las Vegas had the potential tying runs on base. With runners at first and second with one out, Cabrera got Reese Havens to ground into a game-ending double play.
Hawpe led Salt Lake with two hits and three runs batted in, while Hester and Long added two hits and one RBI each, as the Bees snap their three-game skid.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 60
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 55
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 54
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 25
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 16