Ravell Call, Deseret News
Do we want the best lawyer or the best politician as the state's chief law enforcement officer? By appearances alone, Mark Shurtleff and John Swallow have become far too cozy with individuals under criminal investigation or in prison during their political campaigns. If running for attorney general puts pressure on candidates to pursue such questionable financial relationships, we either need more upright candidates with a clearer sense about conflicts of interest and the strength of character to resist this pressure, or we need a new approach for selecting them that insulates the office from raising donations for political campaigns.
The process for finding judges in Utah state courts offers a model that identifies candidates with superior qualifications for the office and allows for public accountability. A professionally experienced Judicial Nominating Commission recommends candidates to the governor who makes the appointment with the advice and consent of the State Senate. After taking office, the performance of every judge is reported to the voters who have the opportunity to reconfirm or terminate the service of any judge in an unopposed retention election every six years. Using a similar approach to find the Attorney General might remove the current shadow darkening the office.
South Salt Lake
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: Unfortunately, Canada may never...
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- In our opinion: Charitable awareness —...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 73
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 26