SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz officials announced Thursday that the team will once again participate in the 2013 Southwest Airlines Orlando Pro Summer League, which will take place on the Orlando Magic's practice court at Amway Center from July 7-12. The Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Detroit Pistons, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat, Oklahoma City Thunder and Philadelphia 76ers will also be participating in the six-day, 25-game event hosted by the Magic.
Utah will play five games in the Summer League, facing the Heat (July 7), Rockets (July 9), Nets (July 10), Pacers (July 11) and a yet-to-be-determined opponent on July 12.
A new format will be introduced this summer, with two extra teams and an additional day added to the slate. The new format calls for each team playing five games over the six-day event, with a championship day being staged on the final day. A point system has been devised that will establish the standings leading up to the final day, with seven points awarded each game based on: three points for winning the game and one point for winning each quarter (in the event of a tied quarter, each team will receive 0.5 points). In the event of ties in seeding heading into championship day, three tiebreakers will be in place: total point differential; total points allowed; coin flip.
Utah previously participated in the Orlando Pro Summer League in 2009 and 2010 when the event was held at RDV Sportsplex, and in 2012 at Amway Center. Summer League was not held in 2011 (due to the lockout).
Due to space limitations, the Orlando Pro Summer League is not open to the public.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43