Susan Walsh, Associated Press
What more evidence do we need to replace the income tax with an uncomplicated, straightforward national sales tax on manufactured goods (not food and utilities) than what we've learned about the heavy-handed tactics of the IRS this past week? Advantages of a national tax means that those who spend more (and can afford it) will pay more taxes.
No longer will there be bitter disputes between the so-called one percent and the rest of us. Other than acting as a collection agency for sales taxes, the IRS can be dismantled. No need to have tax preparation done by CPAs, albeit corporations will still need to file and pay sales taxes collected. No one will be left without paying taxes; you buy a car, you pay taxes. What are we waiting for?
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- The winners and the losers
- Letter: Elected representatives
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion:: Nelson Mandela left legacy...
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- Letter: No limits
- Michael Gerson: Cancer has helped me see life...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 53
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Letter: Elected representatives 33
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 20
- Letter: No limits 19
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an... 11
- In our opinion: Electronic devices in... 10