WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will travel to tornado-ravaged Moore, Okla., on Sunday.
White House spokesman Jay Carney says the president will view the tornado damage first-hand. He also plans to meet with victims and first responders.
The monstrous tornado barreled through the Oklahoma City suburb Monday afternoon, demolishing an elementary school and reducing homes to piles of rubble. State authorities say two infants were among the 24 people who perished in the twister.
The town of Moore is a community of 41,000 people located about 10 miles from Oklahoma City.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Top 15 states for education
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 11
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6