Sister Monson had an instrumental role in the conversion of several people. In one of his books, Be Your Best Self, President Monson wrote about a man who telephoned one day, saying his family was from Holland, where they had heard about the Church, wanted to know more and asked for the missionaries to visit. Sister Monson excitedly told the missionaries on the staff about the "golden referral." However, they procrastinated their visit with the Dutch family. Night after night, she asked if they had visited. Finally, she told them, "If you aren't going to call on the Dutch family tonight, my husband and I are going to call on them."
The missionaries worked the visit into their schedule, taught and baptized Jacob deJager and his family. He served in the First Quorum of the Seventy from 1976-1993.
Sister Monson made a lasting impression not only on the missionaries, but also local members. Elsie Bancroft spoke of the first time she saw the new mission president's wife: "Sister Monson was wearing a stunning red winter coat. I admired its beauty on this lovely lady. Her response was gentle and humble as she asked me, a 16-year-old young woman, if I thought it was too ostentatious for a missionary. I immediately replied that it was perfect for her and she looked beautiful in it. I had no idea what the rules were for sister missionary clothing, yet this soft-spoken, gentle lady thoughtfully asked for my opinion. Sister Monson made me feel important to her."
Stephen Hadley, who served as a counselor in the Canadian Mission presidency, and his wife, Shirley Hadley, contributed to this article.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Home-school culture shifting away from...
- LDS apostles return to southern South America...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 58
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 31
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 26
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 18