Mary Altaffer, Associated Press
SLEEPY HOLLOW, N.Y. — Many young people are among the mourners attending the funeral of a Hofstra University student who was accidentally shot by police.
Andrea Rebello's family followed the pastor Wednesday as he led her white cloth-draped coffin to the altar at St. Teresa of Avila Church in Sleepy Hollow. He said she's being welcomed into heaven.
Relatives and friends lit candles representing grief, courage, memories and love.
The junior was killed during a standoff with an armed intruder in a Long Island home last week.
At Rebello's wake Tuesday night, some of her friends wondered if the shooting could have been prevented. They said police should have waited for backup.
The police union president defended the officer. He said the only person responsible for Rebello's death was the intruder, who also was killed.
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 73
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 20
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 17