2 FBI agents killed during training exercise at Virginia Beach
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Two FBI agents died Friday in an apparent off-shore training exercise.
The agency’s website identified the officers as Special Agent Christopher Lorek and Special Agent Stephen Shaw. They were members of the FBI’s elite Hostage Rescue Team, which is part of the Critical Incident Response Group based at Quantico, Va.
The FBI was mum Sunday as to the cause of the deaths.
“We mourn the loss of two brave and courageous men,” said FBI Director Robert S. Mueller, in a statement released on Sunday.
“Like all who serve on the Hostage Rescue Team, they accept the highest risk each and every day, when training and on operational missions, to keep our nation safe. Our hearts are with their wives, children and other loved ones who feel their loss most deeply. And they will always be part of the FBI family.”
On Sunday, Vanessa Torres, a spokeswoman for the local FBI branch office in Norfolk, Va., said she was not aware of the training the men were participating in.
The FBI said Lorek, 41, first joined the agency in 1996. He is survived by a wife and two daughters, who are 11 and 8. Shaw, 40, joined the agency in 2005 and is survived by a wife, a 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son.
©2013 Daily Press (Newport News, Va.)
Visit the Daily Press (Newport News, Va.) at www.dailypress.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- 'He was a 'Star Trek' guy': Mark Hamill said...
- Toddler has no kidneys; family hopes for...
- ‘Dr. Oz’ will mount on-air...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- 'Star Wars' design team teases 'Force...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 43
- 5 arguments Republicans are using to... 28
- Hillary Clinton faces promise, risk of... 24
- US senator says it's time to put a... 23
- Hillary Rodham Clinton completes shift... 18
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15
- Climate change plan faces high-profile... 15
- Obama removes Cuba from state sponsor... 13