2 FBI agents killed during training exercise at Virginia Beach
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Two FBI agents died Friday in an apparent off-shore training exercise.
The agency’s website identified the officers as Special Agent Christopher Lorek and Special Agent Stephen Shaw. They were members of the FBI’s elite Hostage Rescue Team, which is part of the Critical Incident Response Group based at Quantico, Va.
The FBI was mum Sunday as to the cause of the deaths.
“We mourn the loss of two brave and courageous men,” said FBI Director Robert S. Mueller, in a statement released on Sunday.
“Like all who serve on the Hostage Rescue Team, they accept the highest risk each and every day, when training and on operational missions, to keep our nation safe. Our hearts are with their wives, children and other loved ones who feel their loss most deeply. And they will always be part of the FBI family.”
On Sunday, Vanessa Torres, a spokeswoman for the local FBI branch office in Norfolk, Va., said she was not aware of the training the men were participating in.
The FBI said Lorek, 41, first joined the agency in 1996. He is survived by a wife and two daughters, who are 11 and 8. Shaw, 40, joined the agency in 2005 and is survived by a wife, a 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son.
©2013 Daily Press (Newport News, Va.)
Visit the Daily Press (Newport News, Va.) at www.dailypress.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- It's not just young people —... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4