PULLMAN, Wash. — Sophomore Devon Purser shot a final round three-under 69 to lead BYU to an eighth-place finish Saturday at the NCAA Golf Championships Pullman Regional.
Entering the final round at three-under-par, the Cougars shot a final round 286 (-2) team score and a 54-hole total 859 (-5) to finish in the eighth spot during a cold and windy day at Palouse Ridge Golf Club. At five-under-par, BYU finished one stroke better than ninth-place Memphis (-4) and one stroke behind seventh-place Pacific (-6) in the 14-team field.
The Cougars narrowly missed advancing to the finals, coming up three strokes short from tying for fifth place to enter a playoff with Ball State (-8) and San Diego State (-8). Ball State won the playoff hole by one stroke to seal their spot in the finals.
No. 1 California won the Pullman regional by shooting an 821 (-43) team score. No. 11 TCU finished in second place at 23-under-par, followed by No. 24 Saint Mary's (-22) and No. 13 Southern California (-20).
Purser shot a solid three-under-par 69 final round to lead the Cougars on the day. The sophomore from Clearfield carded four birdies and dropped one bogey in his best round of the tournament. Purser finished the tournament at two-under-par to tie for 23rd place.
Zac Blair had another consistent day on the links, carding an even-par 72 during the final round. Blair recorded three birdies and 13 pars on the day, finishing the tournament at four-under-par to tie for 16th place.
CASPER CLOSES OUT CAREER TIED FOR 20TH: Utah Valley University senior golfer Mason Casper closed out his collegiate career by tying for 20th at the NCAA Golf Pullman Regional.
Casper entered the final round tied for eighth and in the hunt for a bid to the NCAA Championship later in the month, but carded a 3-over par 75 finish the three-day tournament at 3-under par.
Casper started on hole No. 10 and recorded bogeys on three of his first five holes before finishing at +3 on the opening nine. He recorded two more bogeys to drop to +5 on the round before recording his first birdie of the day on his 15th hole and another on his 17th hole.
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- BYU opponent preview: Mixing Riley's system...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy... 9