EUGENE, Ore.— BYU softball's bats went cold as it was eliminated from the Eugene Regionals Friday in a 6-0 loss to Wisconsin at Howe Field.
BYU (33-25) had just two hits on the day to Wisconsin's eight and the Cougars struggled early on the mound. Tori Almondwas given the loss after giving up three earned runs in 2.1 innings. Hannah Howell replaced Almond and pitched 4.2 innings. She gave up one earned run on five hits. Bailie Hicken and Madisen Robbhad the lone hits for BYU.
SLCC SPLITS TWO AT NATIONALS: At St. George, SLCC (52-10) split a pair of contests at the National Junior College Athletic Association National Tournament on Friday. SLCC defeated Chipola College 12-0 in the afternoon contest and fell to Wallace State College 8-1 in the night cap. In the first game pitcher MaCauley Flint struck out nine Chipola batters and allowed one hit in a complete game effort, but got the loss in second game. Whitney Holt led the Bruins in the first game by going 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, two runs scored and four RBI.
BYU CLINCHES PLAYOFF SPOT: At Provo, Adam Law and a trio of BYU pitchers combined to lead BYU to a 6-3 victory over Saint Mary's College Friday night, clinching a spot in the West Coast Conference tournament. Law hit the game-winning RBI in the bottom of the fifth inning and added a solo home run shot in the eighth inning.
CASPER SHOOTS 70: At Pullman, Wash., Utah Valley's Mason Casper shot a 2-under par 70 Friday at the second round of the NCAA Golf Pullman and moved up 10 spots heading into Saturday's final round.
COUGARS MOVE UP: At Pullman, Wash., Justin Keiley shot a second round one-under 71 to help BYU to a ninth-place standing through 36 holes at the NCAA Golf Championships Pullman Regional Friday.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 64
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 48
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29