Tom Smart, Deseret News
Frances Beverly Monson, wife of LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson, died Friday at 6:35 a.m. Friday, surrounded by family, of causes incident to age. She was 85 years old.
Frances Monson was born on October 27, 1927. She and President Monson were married on October 7, 1948 in the Salt Lake Temple, and are the parents of three children.
"Recognized by her husband as the family's beacon of love, compassion and encouragement, Sister Monson lived a Christ-centered life in word and deed," the LDS newsroom tribute said. "She will forever be remembered for her kindness and quiet, sustained support of her husband in his church duties."
Frances grew up in Salt Lake City and graduated from East High School and the University of Utah. According to a Feb. 2008 Deseret News article, President Monson and Frances met a month after he saw her at "Hello Dolly" and became determined to meet her.
"The first day I saw Frances, I knew I'd found the right one," President Monson said in a 2008 Ensign article.
Frances worked side-by-side with President Monson as he served as a bishop, second counselor in the Temple View stake presidency, president of the Canadian Mission, manager of the Deseret News Press, member of the Valley View Stake high council, member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and later president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"She dearly loved my father and recognized his talents and the gifts that he'd been given and took pleasure in supporting him and helping him magnify the talents that were his," daughter Ann Dibb said.
"Never purposely in the spotlight, Frances Beverly Johnson Monson was always gracious, kind and supportive in everything she said and did," the LDS Newsroom tribute said. "Her quiet influence felt around the world will be missed.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Veterans Day 'mystery soldier' not anonymous...
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Woman killed in Eagle Mountain concrete accident
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 60
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 32
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 26
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 19
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 18