ALBUQUERQUE — A mother whose 4-year-old was being abducted chased the suspect down and crashed her vehicle into his car, triggering a manhunt and the arrest of the suspect, Albuquerque police said Thursday.
The young girl was playing in her yard at St. Anthony's Plaza Apartments in Albuquerque's North Valley about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday when a group of teenagers saw the kidnapping and ran to alert the girl's mother, police said.
The family called 911 and the mother jumped into her vehicle and gave chase for about seven miles, unaware the man had pushed the girl out of the silver Buick before fleeing the apartment complex, authorities said. The girl was found wandering nearby, uninjured, police said.
According to police, the mother, who has not been identified, followed the suspect and finally rammed into his car near an intersection. The suspect fled on foot, police said.
The attempted kidnapping sparked a massive manhunt Wednesday as more than two dozen officers went door-to-door in the area looking for the suspect. A helicopter with heat-sensor cameras also was sent in for the search, authorities said.
Police arrested David Hernandez, 31, on Thursday afternoon and he was charged with kidnapping, police spokeswoman Tasia Martinez said.
It was not known if Hernandez had an attorney.
Kevin Abar, assistant special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations, confirmed to The Associated Press that federal agents also helped Albuquerque police with the investigation.
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to break than...
- Bound bodies of 2 found in Philly river; 3rd...
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death...
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- A New York Times article said Michael... 39
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 22
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 20
- 10 things to know about corporate... 18
- Obama back at White House after summer... 17
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 14
- Mourners gather in St. Louis for Brown... 13