Golden Gloves: Former Olympic medalists reunite in Salt Lake

Published: Friday, May 17 2013 9:40 a.m. MDT

Gold medalist boxer Sugar Ray Seales talks with Kiera Maxwell, Jessie Bingham and Kayla Maxwell during the 2013 national Golden Glove tournament in Salt Lake City.

Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — Despite damaged eyes and the changes wrought on his friend's face by more than four decades of living, Sugar Ray Seales immediately recognized a man forever tied to the greatest achievement of his life.

"I almost cried," said Seales, who was on the 1972 U.S. Olympic team with Jesse Valdez. In fact, they weren't just teammates, they both won medals with Seales earning the only boxing gold medal, while Valdez earned a bronze in the welterweight division.

Wearing glasses that allow him to see out of one of his eyes, Seals, clad in his Indianapolis Golden Gloves jacket rushed toward Valdez, who was dressed in his Colorado-New Mexico shirt.

"It was like old times," Seales, now 60. "I talked to him a couple of years ago and said, 'Jesse, we need to have a reunion.' He knew all the other boxers, so this is a family reunion because Jesse represents everybody else."

A smile spreads across the face of the older, much quieter Valdez as he recalls seeing Seales for the first time since he captained the Olympic team for which they both competed.

"He came up to me and he's a lot thinner than I am," said the 65-year-old with a chuckle. "But I deserve to be as big as I am. It was like a reunion. We talked about old times, what we did, how we were, and at 65, it's very difficult for me to remember a lot of the names. It was easier for him. It was really, really good to see him and see that he's doing so well."

Both men volunteer with amateur boxing gyms in their adopted hometowns — Seales in Indianapolis where he's lived for seven years and Valdez in Albuquerque where he moved in 2006.

While their post-Olympic success took them on very different paths, boxing shaped who they are and their love of the sport is what motivated them to volunteer to help aspiring young fighters.

"If it hadn't been for boxing, no telling what I would have been doing," said Valdez. "All I know is that I am happy, I am blessed."

Valdez, 25 at the time, was the captain of the 1972 U.S. Olympic boxing team, while Seales, 19, was a budding young star. Both started boxing when they were in grade school — Seales because his father, who served in the military, did so and Valdez because a coach recognized his athleticism.

"I used to go to the Boys (and Girls) Club after school and they had a boxing club," Valdez recalled. "They'd pick us up and when we got there, we'd run in there to get the gloves on, and whoever got them on first, it didn't matter if you were big or small, you just had it out."

He jokes that he was fast and good at dodging punches, and after a few weeks one of the coaches approached him.

"Hey, how would you like to box?" he remembers the coach asking of him. "And the rest is history. That's how I started."

It was winning the National Golden Gloves tournament at 15 (he was required to be 16 but he'd lied about his age), that he began to believe the Olympics were a real possibility. He said he was lucky to have good coaches that taught him a variety of styles.

"I learned how to do all of them, and I realized it's a matter of how bad do you want it," he said. In 1964 he was defeated in the Olympic qualifying tournament, but he was invited to continue competing as a member of the Air Force team. He fought inmates in San Quentin State Prison and fighters from foreign countries.

"It was a lot of fun, and that really gave me a lot of inspiration," he said. "I thought, 'I'm going to train harder, try harder and there is no telling where I can go.'"

He failed to qualify in 1968, setting up his final try in the summer of 1972.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere