4 advance in qualifying for U.S. Open including 3 BYU golfers
SANDY — Nevada pro John Shaw led a group of four qualifiers at the U.S. Open local qualifying tournament at Hidden Valley Country Club.
Shaw, a pro at the Jackpot Golf Club in Jackpot, shot a 6-under-par 65 to earn medalist honors and a spot in next month's U.S. Open sectional qualifying. Other qualifiers include BYU golfer Devon Purser who shot 66, Lehi pro Tony Finau, who shot 67 and BYU golfer Cole Ogden, who shot a 68 and won a sudden-death playoff with Brett Smith for the final spot. Smith is the first alternate and Matt Baird is the second alternate after winning a three-way playoff with Zach Johnson and Joe Parkinson after the trio tied at 69.. In all, 65 players were vying for the four spots.
Sectional qualifying tournaments will be held around the country in early June with the top qualifiers advancing to the U.S. Open June 13-16 at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 148
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27