4 advance in qualifying for U.S. Open including 3 BYU golfers
SANDY — Nevada pro John Shaw led a group of four qualifiers at the U.S. Open local qualifying tournament at Hidden Valley Country Club.
Shaw, a pro at the Jackpot Golf Club in Jackpot, shot a 6-under-par 65 to earn medalist honors and a spot in next month's U.S. Open sectional qualifying. Other qualifiers include BYU golfer Devon Purser who shot 66, Lehi pro Tony Finau, who shot 67 and BYU golfer Cole Ogden, who shot a 68 and won a sudden-death playoff with Brett Smith for the final spot. Smith is the first alternate and Matt Baird is the second alternate after winning a three-way playoff with Zach Johnson and Joe Parkinson after the trio tied at 69.. In all, 65 players were vying for the four spots.
Sectional qualifying tournaments will be held around the country in early June with the top qualifiers advancing to the U.S. Open June 13-16 at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 23