Tom Smart, Deseret News
OKLAHOMA CITY — John Hester belted a pair of solo home runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to a 3-2 win over the Oklahoma City RedHawks on Monday night.
OKC led 1-0 when Hester drilled the first pitch of the third inning from Brad Peacock over the bullpen in left center to tie the game.
With one out in the fifth, Hester launched a 2-0 pitch from Peacock off of the back wall of the same bullpen to give the Bees a 2-1 lead.
A run-scoring fielder's choice from Matt Young gave Salt Lake a two-run lead in the sixth.
The RedHawks pulled to within one in the seventh and loaded the bases with one out, but Jeremy Berg got Marc Krauss to ground into an inning ending double play.
Oklahoma City also loaded the bases with two out in the eighth, but Fernando Cabrera struck out Jake Elmore to get out of the jam.
Matt Shoemaker (3-5) earned the win, as he went six innings and allowed just one run on five hits with five strikeouts and three walks.
Mitch Stetter recorded his third save by working a three up, three down ninth inning.
Hester led the Bees with three hits and two runs batted in, while Efren Navarro added a pair of singles.
Salt Lake has won the first three games of the series and are now 4-3 on their road trip that ends with a Tuesday morning game in Oklahoma City.
Up next: at Oklahoma City, 10 a.m. Tuesday
Next homestand: Thursday-May 23 vs. Nashville/Memphis
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45