Tom Smart, Deseret News
OKLAHOMA CITY — John Hester belted a pair of solo home runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to a 3-2 win over the Oklahoma City RedHawks on Monday night.
OKC led 1-0 when Hester drilled the first pitch of the third inning from Brad Peacock over the bullpen in left center to tie the game.
With one out in the fifth, Hester launched a 2-0 pitch from Peacock off of the back wall of the same bullpen to give the Bees a 2-1 lead.
A run-scoring fielder's choice from Matt Young gave Salt Lake a two-run lead in the sixth.
The RedHawks pulled to within one in the seventh and loaded the bases with one out, but Jeremy Berg got Marc Krauss to ground into an inning ending double play.
Oklahoma City also loaded the bases with two out in the eighth, but Fernando Cabrera struck out Jake Elmore to get out of the jam.
Matt Shoemaker (3-5) earned the win, as he went six innings and allowed just one run on five hits with five strikeouts and three walks.
Mitch Stetter recorded his third save by working a three up, three down ninth inning.
Hester led the Bees with three hits and two runs batted in, while Efren Navarro added a pair of singles.
Salt Lake has won the first three games of the series and are now 4-3 on their road trip that ends with a Tuesday morning game in Oklahoma City.
Up next: at Oklahoma City, 10 a.m. Tuesday
Next homestand: Thursday-May 23 vs. Nashville/Memphis
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 27