Philadelphia abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell guilty in 3 babies' deaths
Philadelphia Daily News, Yong Kim, Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — A Philadelphia doctor accused of performing illegal, late-term abortions in a filthy clinic has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the deaths of three babies born alive but acquitted in the death of a fourth baby.
Dr. Kermit Gosnell was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the overdose death of a patient.
Prosecutors say the 72-year-old Gosnell delivered babies alive and had their spines severed with scissors to kill them. They say the baby whose death he was cleared in let out a soft whimper before Gosnell cut its neck.
The defense had argued there were no live births at the clinic.
The grisly details of the case came out more than two years ago when authorities described finding bags and bottles of fetuses at the foul-smelling clinic and unsterile instruments that were reused.
Prosecutors seek the death penalty.
- Judge rejects motion, clearing way for Steven...
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments monument...
- Religious schools and universities on edge...
- A world apart: 2 women with birthdates in...
- Who is in, and about to get in, the GOP race...
- Don't blink or you might miss the leap second...
- Convicted killer thought fellow escapee was...
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 60
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments... 45
- White House lit in rainbow colors after... 33
- Religious schools and universities on... 26
- Woman removes Confederate flag in front... 25
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired 24
- Obama delivers unvarnished race lecture... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13