Philadelphia abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell guilty in 3 babies' deaths
Philadelphia Daily News, Yong Kim, Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — A Philadelphia doctor accused of performing illegal, late-term abortions in a filthy clinic has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the deaths of three babies born alive but acquitted in the death of a fourth baby.
Dr. Kermit Gosnell was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the overdose death of a patient.
Prosecutors say the 72-year-old Gosnell delivered babies alive and had their spines severed with scissors to kill them. They say the baby whose death he was cleared in let out a soft whimper before Gosnell cut its neck.
The defense had argued there were no live births at the clinic.
The grisly details of the case came out more than two years ago when authorities described finding bags and bottles of fetuses at the foul-smelling clinic and unsterile instruments that were reused.
Prosecutors seek the death penalty.
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts of...
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who struck...
- Most K-12 students are now low income
- Private wells in California farm area show...
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit on...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Residents want charges for Denver officers...
- Storm unleashes blizzard conditions on parts...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 91
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 29
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 19
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- VP Joe Biden: More access to higher ed... 10
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 10
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10