Philadelphia abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell guilty in 3 babies' deaths
Philadelphia Daily News, Yong Kim, Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — A Philadelphia doctor accused of performing illegal, late-term abortions in a filthy clinic has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the deaths of three babies born alive but acquitted in the death of a fourth baby.
Dr. Kermit Gosnell was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the overdose death of a patient.
Prosecutors say the 72-year-old Gosnell delivered babies alive and had their spines severed with scissors to kill them. They say the baby whose death he was cleared in let out a soft whimper before Gosnell cut its neck.
The defense had argued there were no live births at the clinic.
The grisly details of the case came out more than two years ago when authorities described finding bags and bottles of fetuses at the foul-smelling clinic and unsterile instruments that were reused.
Prosecutors seek the death penalty.
- Riots in Baltimore over man's death in police...
- Supreme Court hears historic same-sex...
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may...
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- Tuesday's the day: Same-sex marriage...
- Benefits of HPV vaccine can be seen in high...
- Nepal troops ready aid for remote quake-hit...
- Can mobile homes save home ownership?
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 60
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 23
- Supreme Court hears historic same-sex... 23
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges... 17
- Clinton Foundation admits missteps in... 16
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 14