These days he shares the house in Bountiful he bought in 1957 for $13,800 with his grandson, Nathan, and Sparky, his dog. He still drives his own car and tends his own yard.
When Kathy asked if she could come to meet him, and bring LeNae, Falkner checked his schedule and said, "Sure."
They talked for hours. Kathy and LeNae told Falkner that it was only a month after the accident that their sister Bonnie entered the world. Three more brothers and sisters came after that: Donald, LeNae and Geniel. Just think how many lives he'd saved, they told him, just think of the family he'd kept whole.
Kathy and LeNae handed Falkner the scrapbook and cards they'd made. Inside the scrapbook, along with letters of thanks from extended members of the Peavey family, was a medal of honor.
"Who's that for?" he asked.
"That's for you," they said.
"I never dreamt anybody would look me up or anything," was all Falkner could think to reply, and then he let the women hug him and show affection all they wanted.
"Something got us there at the right time. I don't know what it was, but it was something," Falkner said, reminiscing about that day. "We weren't there but 10 seconds and they told us two guys was hurt … "
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Mondays. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 14