Philadelphia Phillies rally to beat Arizona D-backs 4-2 in 10 innings
First baseman Eric Hinske gave McCarthy some help in the sixth with a diving stop on a hard-hit ball by Howard, and shortstop Didi Gregorius ended the seventh with a double play after coming up with a tough one-hopper.
McCarthy induced another double play after pinch-hitter Michael Young led off the eighth with a single. McCarthy pitched eight scoreless innings for the first time since Sept. 3, 2011, against Seattle.
"At 88 (pitches) I was a little tired but I felt that I was at least shoring some things up," McCarthy said. "It is an inning that I always like to go back out. The last few weeks haven't been smooth and I haven't really been a guy that you counted on. I would like to get that reputation back where it is a no-brainer and I get the ball in the ninth."
Kendrick, who has struggled against Arizona, was in trouble right away on Sunday, leaving a 1-2 pitch up in the zone that Parra hit out to right. Gregorius followed with a triple to the gap and Pollock added a run-scoring single to put Arizona up 2-0 after one inning.
Kendrick settled down after that and got some help in the third, when Brown nonchalantly reached over the wall in left to rob Eric Chavez of a homer.
Kendrick allowed two runs on six hits and struck out four in seven innings.
"I just made a couple of bad pitches, pitches that were up over the plate," he said. "The guy on the other side was pitching well, so it was good to see us go out and get that win."
NOTES: McCarthy hasn't won since Aug. 31 against Boston while pitching for Oakland. ... Reynolds' 19 straight scoreless outings matched Joe Patterson's 2011 team record. ... Diamondbacks LHP Wade Miley, who starts Monday's series opener against Atlanta, has allowed two earned runs in 11 innings in two home starts this season. ... The Phillies have a day off before RHP Jonathan Pettibone (2-0) pitches against Cleveland LHP Scott Kazmir to open a two-game series Tuesday.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20