Philadelphia Phillies rally to beat Arizona D-backs 4-2 in 10 innings
First baseman Eric Hinske gave McCarthy some help in the sixth with a diving stop on a hard-hit ball by Howard, and shortstop Didi Gregorius ended the seventh with a double play after coming up with a tough one-hopper.
McCarthy induced another double play after pinch-hitter Michael Young led off the eighth with a single. McCarthy pitched eight scoreless innings for the first time since Sept. 3, 2011, against Seattle.
"At 88 (pitches) I was a little tired but I felt that I was at least shoring some things up," McCarthy said. "It is an inning that I always like to go back out. The last few weeks haven't been smooth and I haven't really been a guy that you counted on. I would like to get that reputation back where it is a no-brainer and I get the ball in the ninth."
Kendrick, who has struggled against Arizona, was in trouble right away on Sunday, leaving a 1-2 pitch up in the zone that Parra hit out to right. Gregorius followed with a triple to the gap and Pollock added a run-scoring single to put Arizona up 2-0 after one inning.
Kendrick settled down after that and got some help in the third, when Brown nonchalantly reached over the wall in left to rob Eric Chavez of a homer.
Kendrick allowed two runs on six hits and struck out four in seven innings.
"I just made a couple of bad pitches, pitches that were up over the plate," he said. "The guy on the other side was pitching well, so it was good to see us go out and get that win."
NOTES: McCarthy hasn't won since Aug. 31 against Boston while pitching for Oakland. ... Reynolds' 19 straight scoreless outings matched Joe Patterson's 2011 team record. ... Diamondbacks LHP Wade Miley, who starts Monday's series opener against Atlanta, has allowed two earned runs in 11 innings in two home starts this season. ... The Phillies have a day off before RHP Jonathan Pettibone (2-0) pitches against Cleveland LHP Scott Kazmir to open a two-game series Tuesday.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24