Spacewalking repair halts station leak
Additional monitoring over the next few weeks will be needed
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Astronauts making a rare, hastily planned spacewalk replaced a pump outside the International Space Station on Saturday in hopes of plugging a serious ammonia leak.
The prospects of success grew as the minutes, then hours passed and no frozen flecks of ammonia appeared. Mission Control said it appeared as though the leak may have been plugged, although additional monitoring over the coming weeks will be needed before declaring a victory.
"I will tell you that we're happy. We're very happy," said Joel Montalbano, NASA's deputy space station program manager. "We didn't see any obvious signs of a leak, but it's going to take some time ... for us to look at the system, evaluate the system and make sure we did, indeed, stop the leak."
Montalbano expects it will take "a good four weeks, five weeks, maybe even a few weeks longer."
"Obviously, the longer you go, the more confidence you get," he told reporters.
Christopher Cassidy and Thomas Marshburn installed the new pump after removing the old one suspected of spewing flakes of frozen ammonia coolant two days earlier. They uncovered "no smoking guns" responsible for the leak and consequently kept a sharp lookout for any icy flecks that might appear from the massive frame that holds the solar panels on the left side.
NASA said the leak, while significant, never jeopardized crew safety. But managers wanted to deal with the trouble now, while it's fresh and before Marshburn returns to Earth in just a few days.
The space agency never before staged such a fast, impromptu spacewalk for a station crew.
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Suicide vest found in Paris raises possible...
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- Tunisian president declares state of...
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 37
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 37
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Rep. Mia Love endorses Marco Rubio for... 22
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 13