PROVO — Kelton Caldwell hit a walk-off homer, lifting the BYU baseball team 10-9 over San Francisco in a back-and-forth thriller Friday night at Larry H. Miller Field.
Down 7-6 in the seventh, Jacob Hannemann hit a three-run shot to take the lead 9-7 but Hannemann's error in center in the ninth led to the Dons tying it up at 9-9. Hannemann didn't have to wait long for redemption when Caldwell led off the bottom half of the ninth with his blast on a 2-1 changeup over the left field wall.
BYU improves to 25-19 and 11-9 in the West Coast Conference and the Dons drop to 31-20 and 15-8 in league. With the win BYU stays in the hunt for a spot in the WCC Tournament.
UTAH 5, WASHINGTON 4: At Seattle, in the top of the 10th inning, AJ Young led off the inning with a walk as a pinch hitter, and back-to-back singles from Braden Anderson and Cory Hunt sent Young across the plate for the game-winning run. Utah reliever Luke West, who entered the game with one out in the ninth inning, struck out all five of the batters that he faced.
WOLVERINES SWEEP HIGHLANDERS: At Orem, Utah Valley University scored early and often in sweeping both ends of a doubleheader, 13-4 and 14-2, over NYIT at Brent Brown Ballpark.
SLCC KNOCKED OUT OF TOURNAMENT: At Henderson, Nev., the SLCC (35-19) fell to rival College of Southern Idaho (29-29) 6-0 in Region 18 Tournament play on Friday.
SUU ADVANCES TO BIG SKY FINAL: At Pocatello, Southern Utah (18-33) posted back-to-back wins over Sacramento State (22-22) and Idaho State on Friday to advance to the final round of the Big Sky Championship. The Thunderbirds held on for a 5-4 victory over the Hornets before knocking off top-seeded tournament host ISU by a 5-1 margin in their second outing of the day. That win sets up a rematch between SUU and Portland State (24-29) in tomorrow's championship round.
DIXIE STATE 14, HAWAII HILO 5: At St. George, Courtney Hine, Kylee Bufton and Anna Cue combined for 10 hits and 11 runs knocked in Friday leading Dixie State during opening day action of the 2013 NCAA West 2 Regional at Karl Brooks Field. The Red Storm (38-12) will face Cal State Dominguez Hills on Saturday's title game.
SLCC IN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: At Twin Falls, Idaho, the No. 6-ranked SLCC Softball team (47-9) will play rival College of Southern Idaho (49-10) for the Region 18 title. The Bruins are 1-3 against CSI this season, but CSI needs to win two games while SLCC needs just one.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU upsets Texas, Cougars will play for...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 49
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 29