Morning-after pill’s availability draws concern from parents
Although it has declined from previous years, nearly half, or 47 percent, of all high school students reported ever having sexual intercourse in 2011, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2011, the CDC also reports, more than 329,000 babies were born to women ages 15 through 19. This is a record low for U.S. teens in this age group, and a drop of 8 percent from 2010.
“You can’t look at age,” said Simpson of SisterSong. “We see this as a victory, but we don’t see it as a solution. We do need to talk about comprehensive sex education.” Even so, “this sort of gives them the idea that even if I mess up, I can take the morning-after pill,” said Victor Houston, the Conyers, Ga., father of a 17-year-old daughter.
Not only that, he said, “this has nothing to do with preventing STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), but in their minds, this is OK.” At the very least, some say, the debate over emergency contraceptives opens the door for parents to have more talks with their teens about sex.
And that, parents and experts say, may not be such a bad thing.
©2013 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.)
Visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, Ga.) at www.ajc.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Central African Republic mobs launch ethnic...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Purge sends chilling message to North Korea's...
- Health care debate about presidential trust,...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 113
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 112
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Space and religion: How believers view... 22
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12