Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Mayor Ralph Becker should visit the Sugar House area, especially 2100 South and 1100 East from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. It is a mess. The post office is hard enough to get in and out now — imagine how it will be with TRAX down the middle of the street. A Deseret News editorial said that public opposition may melt away once the system is in place ("Streetcar alignment," April 30). Well it may melt away by people taking their business elsewhere.
The goal is for a unique community easily navigable on foot and by a leisurely transit system. Did it occur to them that there are some who cannot walk or take the transit? The bus does a great job of handling the public transportation on 1100 East. It even handles bicycles and the handicapped. Of five rooms full of people at the meeting, there was practically no support for 1100 East transit. But of course who are we? We only pay the taxes and vote.
But we have memories and we vote out also.
Salt Lake City
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- In our opinion: With caucus compromise, Utah...
- John Florez: Education — Big government...
- Letter: A 'dying' document
- In our opinion: Prison relocation iffy
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 67
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 53
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 30
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 30
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod 21