But the slowly improving economy masks the stagnant wages and fewer working hours that strike directly at the president's base of support — young people, racial minorities and the less affluent. The average unemployment rate in the first three months of the year was 7.7 percent, but the rate was 13.6 percent for blacks and 9.5 percent for Latinos.
Before Obama departed Washington for a stay of about five hours in Texas, the White House announced a pair of initiatives it said would help the economy in the absence of action by Congress.
The administration announced the launch of a competition to create three new Manufacturing Innovation Institutes, partnerships among businesses, universities and government to help U.S.-based manufacturers and workers create good jobs. Five federal agencies — Defense, Energy, Commerce, NASA and the National Science Foundation — are putting $200 million toward the effort. The president also will ask Congress for a one-time investment of $1 billion to create a nationwide network of 15 such institutes.
The White House also announced an executive order and other steps to make government data more easily available to entrepreneurs, researchers and others who can then use the information to create new products and services, build businesses and create jobs.
Obama planned to visit Manor New Tech High School near Austin, where the curriculum is based on science, technology, engineering and math. He'll hold separate meetings with middle-class workers and technology entrepreneurs, and visit Applied Materials, a high-tech company whose products help make goods like smartphones, flat-screen TVs and solar panels more affordable, according to its website.
Associated Press writer Jim Kuhnhenn contributed to this report.
Follow Darlene Superville on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dsupervilleap
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Chocolate compound restores age-related...
- Digital Savant: How to be a ghost (online)
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Balancing act: Stress, burnout, mistakes top...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 60
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 21
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 11
- Poll: 2 of 3 Americans say Islamic... 10