GM says China OKs new Cadillac factory
Factory will open in 2015, build 150,000 vehicles per year
BEIJING — General Motors Co. said Wednesday its main Chinese joint venture has received government approval to build a Cadillac factory as part of GM's efforts to expand its share of China's luxury auto market.
Plans call for the $1.3 billion factory in Shanghai to begin production in 2015 with an annual capacity of 150,000 vehicles, said GM spokeswoman Dayna Hart.
GM sells imported Cadillacs in China but the luxury market is dominated by Germany's Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi.
Automakers and industry analysts say luxury cars, along with SUVs, should be the fastest-growing parts of China's auto market.
Sales of luxury cars rose 12 percent last year to 675,000 vehicles, according to LMC Automotive, a research firm.
The president of GM's China arm, Bob Socia, said last month that one of the automaker's priorities in China is to expand Cadillac's small market share.
"We've got our sights set on the luxury market," said Socia at the Shanghai auto show. He said Cadillac will introduce a new model in China each year through 2016.
The Cadillac factory is being built by Shanghai GM, the American automaker's joint venture with state-owned Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp.
Also Wednesday, GM opened a factory in Indonesia in Bekasi, on the outskirts of the capital, Jakarta, to manufacture its Chevrolet Spin, a seven-seat subcompact multipurpose vehicle.
The $150 million facility employs 700 people and will have an annual production capacity of 40,000 vehicles, according to GM. It said 20 percent of production will be exported to Thailand and the Philippines, with the rest sold in Indonesia.
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Historic solar flight marks first...
- Judge set to decide on $15B Volkswagen...
- Former Oregon lumber town rides digital wave...
- US home prices rise at steady pace as sales...
- Stocks waver as investors monitor company...
- Why workers aren't taking vacation time, and...
- Salt Lake's 'passive' house a model of...
- Get all your outdoors work done by... 13
- Salt Lake's 'passive' house a model of... 6
- Provo airport expansion could provide... 5
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Historic solar flight marks first... 1
- Why workers aren't taking vacation... 1
- 5 things to do when quitting your job 1
- Panel recommends options to reduce... 1