"He also taught me to endure to the end. With an ejection fraction of 5 percent and very low blood pressure, his already frail heart should not have been working. 'This Mitchell must have an amazing spirit because he's giving it all he has till the very, very end,' our nurse said. Mitchell's body and heart worked so very hard to survive until the very last moment.
"My experience with Mitch has also taught me more about the importance of families. His sister Laura-Ashley took such good care of him; she laughed with him often and always offered deep affection and lifted his spirits. His older brother, Ethan, also cared for him and took time every single day to give Mitch a hug at school and told him he cared and was there for him. Wyatt, Mitchell's younger brother, said while we were in the CICU unit at Primary Children's Medical Center that he would give his own heart to his brother if he could.
"Mitchie taught me about faith and prayer. He had so much faith in prayer. He knew that if he prayed every night Heavenly Father would help him be safe. If there was an especially blustery night he would ask me to pray for him as well, so that he wouldn't worry and could sleep. During his last month of life he prayed constantly and asked for Priesthood blessings often. He had great faith that his prayers would be answered and they were.
"The last lesson I learned is the most important and perhaps the hardest one of all: to find comfort and peace through Christ and the Atonement even during this extremely hard and painful time. I am coming to learn on a deeper level how Christ can heal my broken heart.
"I know during the years ahead I will miss my sweet boy terribly. And the Savior's words will continue to speak peace to my soul. I know that I will see him again I know that because Christ lives.
"Mitchell will forever be in my heart along with all of the treasured lessons he taught me."
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Families celebrate Christmas traditions as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- Holiday video game guide: Something for...
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5