Mariah Carey knew Nicki Minaj would be trouble, Nick Cannon says
LOS ANGELES — Mariah Carey, whose clash with fellow “American Idol” judge Nicki Minaj has made headlines overshadowing the talent competition, warned Fox before the season began that having herself and the rapper-singer on the same panel could cause trouble, said her husband, Nick Cannon.
In an appearance on the “KTLA Morning News,” Cannon said of the feud, “My wife (had) foreseen all this. She tried to tell the network, ‘I don’t think this is going to work. I’m afraid ... I don’t need this.’ “
Cannon said Carey warned that pairing her and Minaj on the same panel was “taking it in the wrong direction, because this is going to turn into one of those reality shows. She’s like, ‘I didn’t sign up to be on “Love and Hip Hop.”‘“
He said Carey had hoped that the show would be more about the participants: “She really loves these contestants.”
But he said Carey would continue to take the high road: “She comes home and just doesn’t have time for it. She’s too busy trying to be the world’s biggest superstar-mom.”
Ratings for the popular series have steadily declined this season. While Minaj has been a standout that has attracted positive reaction from viewers, Carey has not generated the same excitement. Rumors popped up last week that Fox was planning to replace Carey with former “Idol” judge Jennifer Lopez. Fox denied the report when Carey threatened legal action.
©2013 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
VIDEO: Through a partnership between MCT and NewsLook, we can offer you a video to go with this story. Use of this video is free to MCT clients. If you have questions or comments about this partnership, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
—Mariah Carey doesn't want to return to ‘American Idol’
Get embed code: http://goo.gl/NgFBr
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Utahns compete, succeed on 'American Ninja...
- Raising citizens: Tips to help parents... 6
- Hollywood's treatment of the disabled... 6
- BYU alum Rob Gardner, Cinematic Pop... 2
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans... 2
- Extraterrestrial encounters: A look at... 1
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new... 0
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager... 0
- The newscasters who have made the most... 0