We must deal with the root causes of Jihadist extremism and terrorism and address those problems with long-term solutions.
There will not be peace and stability in the Middle East until there is justice in the Middle East.
The major responsibility for the resolution of these problems rests in the hands of the Muslim peoples themselves.
America cannot solve their problems for them, but we must be willing to offer positive help whenever possible.
And we can help solve these problems only if we accurately understand their real nature.
Professor Daniel C. Peterson is editor of the Middle Eastern Texts Initiative and a blogger for Patheos. Professor William Hamblin is co-author of "Solomon's Temple: Myth and History." Their views do not necessarily represent those of BYU.
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Bethlehem: Church of the Nativity undergoes...
- The pipes are calling: Salt Lake Methodist...
- Vatican gets mixed report card on finance...
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter