LOGAN — A Logan man charged with driving under the influence three times in three days has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Daniel Max Kropf, 42, will be eligible for work release in 30 days, The Herald Journal reported.
Kropf received credit for 26 days he spent in jail last summer. He was accused of driving under the influence of opiates, not alcohol, the newspaper said.
Authorities first booked Kropf into jail July 8. He bailed out the next day and was picked up again. Police said he was behind the wheel of a black Escalade when he was arrested for a third DUI on July 10.
In March, Kropf accepted two DUIs, one a felony, in a plea deal. At his sentencing last week, he denied having a problem, prompting a judge to disagree.
"You were arrested, you've had to spend thousands for your criminal defense, you've had your name plastered all over the paper and the news, and now you're standing there and you are about to be sentenced for a felony," 1st District Judge Kevin K. Allen said. "I can tell you — you have a drug problem."
His defense lawyer, Greg Skordas, sought work release so Kropf can support his family.
"Except for the publicity this case got, which was unfortunate, I do not see why so much jail time has been recommended. … In 42 years, he has 42 hours that were a disaster," Skordas said.
In the first incident, Kropf was pulling a 26-foot flatbed trailer that clipped a garbage bin and pinned a store clerk against the wall of a Maverik convenience store, the Herald Journal reported.
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Three Salt Lake City golf courses slated for...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15