LOGAN — A Logan man charged with driving under the influence three times in three days has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Daniel Max Kropf, 42, will be eligible for work release in 30 days, The Herald Journal reported.
Kropf received credit for 26 days he spent in jail last summer. He was accused of driving under the influence of opiates, not alcohol, the newspaper said.
Authorities first booked Kropf into jail July 8. He bailed out the next day and was picked up again. Police said he was behind the wheel of a black Escalade when he was arrested for a third DUI on July 10.
In March, Kropf accepted two DUIs, one a felony, in a plea deal. At his sentencing last week, he denied having a problem, prompting a judge to disagree.
"You were arrested, you've had to spend thousands for your criminal defense, you've had your name plastered all over the paper and the news, and now you're standing there and you are about to be sentenced for a felony," 1st District Judge Kevin K. Allen said. "I can tell you — you have a drug problem."
His defense lawyer, Greg Skordas, sought work release so Kropf can support his family.
"Except for the publicity this case got, which was unfortunate, I do not see why so much jail time has been recommended. … In 42 years, he has 42 hours that were a disaster," Skordas said.
In the first incident, Kropf was pulling a 26-foot flatbed trailer that clipped a garbage bin and pinned a store clerk against the wall of a Maverik convenience store, the Herald Journal reported.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11