LOGAN — A Logan man charged with driving under the influence three times in three days has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Daniel Max Kropf, 42, will be eligible for work release in 30 days, The Herald Journal reported.
Kropf received credit for 26 days he spent in jail last summer. He was accused of driving under the influence of opiates, not alcohol, the newspaper said.
Authorities first booked Kropf into jail July 8. He bailed out the next day and was picked up again. Police said he was behind the wheel of a black Escalade when he was arrested for a third DUI on July 10.
In March, Kropf accepted two DUIs, one a felony, in a plea deal. At his sentencing last week, he denied having a problem, prompting a judge to disagree.
"You were arrested, you've had to spend thousands for your criminal defense, you've had your name plastered all over the paper and the news, and now you're standing there and you are about to be sentenced for a felony," 1st District Judge Kevin K. Allen said. "I can tell you — you have a drug problem."
His defense lawyer, Greg Skordas, sought work release so Kropf can support his family.
"Except for the publicity this case got, which was unfortunate, I do not see why so much jail time has been recommended. … In 42 years, he has 42 hours that were a disaster," Skordas said.
In the first incident, Kropf was pulling a 26-foot flatbed trailer that clipped a garbage bin and pinned a store clerk against the wall of a Maverik convenience store, the Herald Journal reported.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12