LOGAN — A Logan man charged with driving under the influence three times in three days has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Daniel Max Kropf, 42, will be eligible for work release in 30 days, The Herald Journal reported.
Kropf received credit for 26 days he spent in jail last summer. He was accused of driving under the influence of opiates, not alcohol, the newspaper said.
Authorities first booked Kropf into jail July 8. He bailed out the next day and was picked up again. Police said he was behind the wheel of a black Escalade when he was arrested for a third DUI on July 10.
In March, Kropf accepted two DUIs, one a felony, in a plea deal. At his sentencing last week, he denied having a problem, prompting a judge to disagree.
"You were arrested, you've had to spend thousands for your criminal defense, you've had your name plastered all over the paper and the news, and now you're standing there and you are about to be sentenced for a felony," 1st District Judge Kevin K. Allen said. "I can tell you — you have a drug problem."
His defense lawyer, Greg Skordas, sought work release so Kropf can support his family.
"Except for the publicity this case got, which was unfortunate, I do not see why so much jail time has been recommended. … In 42 years, he has 42 hours that were a disaster," Skordas said.
In the first incident, Kropf was pulling a 26-foot flatbed trailer that clipped a garbage bin and pinned a store clerk against the wall of a Maverik convenience store, the Herald Journal reported.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12